Mind Blowing

Thoughts and other crap on people, life and maybe footie...
My Haiku:
I wrote this haiku
with the hope that just maybe.
It blows you away.

Introduction:
The name is irrelevant.
The person is male.
The age is older.
The stories are true.
This blog is mine.

Stuff to surf:
o Rage against the machine
o This Modern World
o Footie
o Toon Army
o Kaki Seni
o Alanis Morrisette
o Makcik Oprah
o Anything 80s
o Michael Moore
o AlterNet
o Wiretap
o Bernama
o Internet Movie DB
o Project Petaling Street

Blogs to read:
o Kai
o Pon
o Nona
o Afti
o Sue
o Naddywoman
o Poe
o Borro
o Kuman
o Chit Chat Bola
o Maverix
o The Datin Diaries
o Kengster
o Chics
o AG
o Nik
o Nadia
o Affy
o Mooke
o Idlan
o Dhilia
o Shapeng
o Ninie

Contact:
o Send me stuff

Archives:

o December 2003
o January 2004
o February 2004
o March 2004
o April 2004
o May 2004
o June 2004
o July 2004
o August 2004
o September 2004
o October 2004
o November 2004
o December 2004
o January 2005
o February 2005
o March 2005
o April 2005
o May 2005
o June 2005
o July 2005
o August 2005
o September 2005
o October 2005
o November 2005
o December 2005
o January 2006
o February 2006
o March 2006
o April 2006
o May 2006
o July 2006
o August 2006
o September 2006
o October 2006
o November 2006
o December 2006
o January 2007
o February 2007
o March 2007
o April 2007
o May 2007
o June 2007
o July 2007
o August 2007
o September 2007
o October 2007
o November 2007
o December 2007
o January 2008
o March 2008
o April 2008
o May 2008
Credits:
o francey design
o blogger

Free Hit Counter
DVD Clubs

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Rock bukan Stone

Don't laugh, but I went to see Mamat Khalid's 'Rock' the other day. And with that, it brings my total of watching Malay movies at the cinema to four. So much for being patriotic, huh?
I usually don't bother because:
One. It'll be playing on Astro Ria next Hari Raya
Two. I'm not a big fan of local movies
And three, it's a filem Melayu, damnit! Berat gile nak kuarkan sepuloinggit

Okay, okay, before any one of you pejuang filem kebangsaan starts sending me hate mail, I have nothing against local movies really. I really enjoyed some of 'em. Honest.
It's just that watching it at the cinema feels a bit...errr...awkward?
But enough about me and my local movie antics, I just wanna say I kinda enjoyed 'Rock'. Mamat Khalid of 'Rombongan Makcik Kiah ke Sukan Komanwel' fame, had a good idea and concept for the movie. It was a tribute to the sham glam rock era of the 80's, something which is close to my heart. It may not be Detroit Rock City or Almost Famous, but it had its moments.
That's what I find quite disappointing in local movies. They have the idea but when it comes to the final and end-product, it becomes nothing more than a whimper. Sad to say, 'Rock' too is guilty of that.
At first, you find the humour quite funny and acceptable but after awhile, it becomes this non-stop abuse of slapstick so-called humour. Come on laaa...if it's one thing I hope they learn is to never, ever prolong a certain slapstick joke. When it drags along, it becomes irritating and what started out as a good joke becomes this 'Cilaka, haram tak lawak' moment.
In a cinema filled with Mat Rempits and your typical Senario audience, they could have been forgiven for that. But please don't try to humiliate the audience (read: myself) with this kinda crap. I'm trying my best to sit through a local movie here, alright?
But 'Rock' may not be your typical Prof Madya movie. The humour sometimes surprised me and it was nice to see that. And with a soundtrack of killer rock kangkang ballads playing throughout the film, I forgave them for my two hours at the cinema. Cameos by rock legends such as Amy and Man Kidal were also nice and justified the film's tribute to the era.
As a whole, 'Rock' didn't do much harm in terms of viewing pleasure. It wasn't that great, but it's nice to see an effort to visualize the Mat Rock era of the 80's from the smelly, egg carton filled walls of the jamming studio to the crowded Dewan Cina which many became a home to the afternoon gig sessions. With this effort, I would also like to see someone do something familiar with the underground movement of the 90's. The more real it is, the better, because we certainly have our own legends in that arena.
Final say: Just wait for it to come out on TV next Hari Raya. And while you're waiting, you can take out those old jeans koyak and hi-cut sneakers from the closet. Wa caya lu brader!! *intro to Taman Rashidah Utama plays in the background*


o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o